After 6-12 months, even your favorite sports bra can start exhibiting behavior reminiscent of a bad relationship—it’s not supportive anymore, it rubs you the wrong way, and just isn’t a good fit. So where did things go wrong? Here are signs it’s time to go your separate ways.
1. The bottom band starts chafing. Over time, the bottom band loses elasticity and the resulting slack can lead to chafing. Just say no to any physical abuse from your bra.
2. You can’t read the tags anymore. If the tags are faded to the point you can’t read them, it’s time to see other sports bras.
3. It’s too big or too small. Your bra size is constantly changing—an average of 6 times for most of us—due to weight loss, weight gain, pregnancy, hormonal changes, or just plain aging. That’s why 8 out of 10 women wear the wrong size bra. A supportive sports bra relies on a perfect fit.
4. You need more than one. If you need more than one sports bra, you are not getting what you need. Try a more supportive style designed for larger cups.
5. You need new shoes. Just like your athletic shoes, sports bras need to be replaced about every 6-12 months. Make it a habit to replace them together.
So what’s a girl to do when it’s time for a new hook-up?
Enter a bra fitting expert, or BFE for short. They have all the knowledge and skills necessary to make sure you get the right-fitting sports bra for you. And at Fleet Feet, we have plenty of them with the right selection of styles for a wide range of body types.
3 things you’ll learn:
1. Bottom Band Fit. A lot of women equate comfortable with loose. In this case, a loose bottom band means chafing, and that my friend, is extremely uncomfortable. Your BFE can ensure you get a tight measurement. You should be able to breathe, but it should be noticeably snug. (Squeeze two fingers under your dog’s collar? Yes. Your sports bra band? No.)
2. Fill, Not Spill. So now that you are wearing a tighter band, you most likely need a larger cup. Cup sizes are not constant—they get bigger or smaller depending on band size. Your BFE will make sure you get the right band/cup combo. That armpit fat? Not fat at all! That belongs in the cup. It’s like magic. The more you know.
3. Bras for Your Body. Just like jeans, sports bras come in different cuts that flatter and support different body shapes. Your BFE will be able to help you hone in on the features that make you feel like a million bucks. Want to dim headlights? She’s got you covered. Need an underwire? She’ll connect you. Prefer some feminine shaping? She’ll hook you up!
So, be honest. Is it time for the DTR (Define the Relationship) talk with your sports bra? We’re waiting to help you find your perfect match.