Quick and delicious, runner inspired recipes.
Scented with orange zest and spices, these sweet potato muffins will instantly warm you up. Though it looks like a laundry list of ingredients, this recipe couldn't be simpler to throw together. Plus, you're getting all of the nutritious benefits of cherries, walnuts, and sweet potatoes in a sweet, grab-and-go package. I could eat these muffins any time of day, but I find they're a perfect afternoon snack before my post-work run.
Orange Sweet Potato Muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup whole, dried cherries
- 1/2 chopped walnuts
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 1 ripe banana
- Juice of half an orange
- 2 cups plain mashed sweet potatoes, cooled
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice and orange zest, chocolate chips, cherries, and walnuts in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg, banana, orange juice, and sweet potatoes until smooth.
- Gently fold in the vegetable oil to the wet ingredients (this may take a few minutes.)
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until just combined.
- Spoon the batter into greased muffin tins and bake for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. This recipe makes 18 muffins.